Friday, March 27, 2009

Steamed Chicken with Salt Fish

I was a busy bee yesterday. Felt like quite the domestic goddess. In addition to the usual bread, which I seem to be baking every 2-3 days, I made 'Mua Chi' or 'Ma Zi' in Mandarin, and tried a new dish for dinner. Yes, I was quite the busy cook. The Mua Chi was good, but not quite up to my expectation. I shall tweak that and post another time. The bread turned out wonderfully and the dinner dish was yummy.

Dinner dish was Steamed Chicken with Salt Fish. I adapted the recipe from At Home with Amy Beh that my Mom and brother gave me for Christmas. It received the thumbs up from my guys, and bonus points from me for a fuss-free recipe.

Here's what I did...


Chicken 1/2, chopped
Salt & pepper
Sugar 1 tsp
Sesame oil 1 tbsp
Chinese cooking wine 1 tbsp
Ginger 3 cm piece, sliced
Salt fish 50g, choose the meaty type

Marinate the chicken pieces with salt & pepper, sugar, sesame oil and cooking wine for at least 2 hours (Amy suggests marinating a few hours or overnight). Fry the salt fish till crispy. Set aside. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok and stir fry the ginger till fragrant but not brown. Add the chicken. Stir fry for 3 minutes. Transfer into a steaming dish, and top with salt fish pieces. Steam over rapid boiling water for 20-25 minutes or till chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with rice.
Note : do not add too much salt as the salt fish will lend much of its flavour into this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!