Monday, March 23, 2009

Pineapple and Coconut Clafoutis

We've been eating a lot lately - me and my buddies. It seems everyone is lining up to cook something special and invite the gang over. And not just your everyday food. It's 'real' South East Asian food. Last week we hopped over to Daphne's for Laksa (I'm still reeling from that one), and today we went over to BLi's for Curry Mee (reeling double time). YP and Jodi are lining up for their turn to cook. As always the lunches are filled with laughter... till 3.45pm when we have to assume our 'Mom' roles.

Curry Mee with the works

Singaporean Jelly Cocktail or Wen Tou Xue

After the last couple of lunches, I am guilt ridden as everyone seemed to bring a little something to share - fruits, Konnyaku Jelly and other desserts. I usually ask if the hostess needs anything, and the usual response is "No neeeed. Got a lot here alreadyyyyy!" But today, I needed to get some nervous energy out and baked this Pineapple and Coconut Clafoutis, and just as well, I could share it with the gang. I had tried it before and it didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. But I didn't give up on you, Clafoutis! With a little tweaking, I knew I could make you better. It did turn out better than the first time, but still failed to impress me. Perhaps I need freshly grated coconut instead of desiccated, and perhaps a combination of milk AND coconut milk.

Here's the recipe. If anyone out there tries this with fresh coconut and coconut milk, please let me know the result...

And of course, the Pineapple and Coconut Clafoutis

Fresh pineapple 400g
Sugar 100g
Vanilla essence 1 tsp
Eggs 2
Freshly grated or desiccated coconut 40g
UHT milk or coconut milk 100ml
Coarse sugar for sprinkling

Cut the pineapple into wedges, and mix it with half the sugar and vanilla essence. Leave to macerate while you prepare the batter. Whisk the eggs and remaining sugar till light and creamy. Add flour and coconut. Mix well and add milk or coconut milk. Mix till smooth. Place pinapple into a buttered baking dish, and pour the batter over. Bake in preheated 185 oven for 25 minutes. Serve sprinkled with sugar.

Recipe adapted from Flavours Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!