Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rye and Sunflower Seed Bread

It's been a few days since I posted. I was busy on a project that, hopefully, will be worth writing home about in a few days. So preoccupied was I that I forgot to keep the pantry stocked with the most basic item - bread. Kids had no bread to go with their PB and Nutella, and CS voice echoed in the bread box "No bread...ead...ead...ead.....?". I decided to bake with one of my prized ingredients - bread mix which I bought from Cooking Island on our last trip home. I would love to stock up on their great bread mixes, but alas, my Rolls Royce Kenwood KMix and food processor took up a chunk of our luggage allowance. Next trip...

Today I used the Rye and Sunflower Seed bread mix. It's hearty, yummy and idiot-proof. Each packet comes with instructions, which was tried and tested by Cooking Island's husband and wife team of Erina Law and Lawrence Cheah. I like this shop because the Cheahs are not only business people, but people who are in this business for the 'lurve'. Erina will willingly share any tip that will ensure you of baking success. Go there with kids, and sure enough, there will be a jar of cookies to keep the little ones munching happily while you shop.

Here's what I did...


Rye & Sunflower Seed mix 250g
Bread flour 500g
Water 417g
Instant yeast 8g
Bread improver 21g

Place all ingredients in a breadmaker mixing bowl. Set for 'Dough'. Stop after 15 minutes to scrape down the sides. Continue the programme. When done, remove from breadmaker, knead for 5 minutes and shape into a round loaf. Set in a warm place and let rise till double in bulk. Bake in 190C oven for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. hi
    nice to meet you
    your blog picture is black bread?
    i don't like

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you blog. It's good to do since we have some free time. At least w are occupy by some interesting stuff whereby we can also share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you too. Yes, it's black bread due to the rye.

    Hey Erina, thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!