Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Homemade Peanut Butter

Rich, homemade PB

Would you like some bread to go with that?

Surfing the net, I've discovered that peanut butter is one of the easiest things to make at home. All dressed up at the supermarket, I had the impression that it was laborious. True, homemade peanut butter doesn't quite taste like the store bought ones, but in my opinion, it tastes even better. It's just all peanut, which makes it very rich. Imagine making Peanut Butter Cookies with this - heavenly! The cost? Just a fraction of what I pay at the supermarket, minus the additives and preservatives. China grows peanuts, and so it's pretty cheap and readily available here.

I came up with this recipe based on a few I'd seen in magazines, on the net, and read articles about. In the process of making, I improvised. I dare not say it's the best formulae yet, but not bad for a first try.

Raw peanuts 1 cup, roasted in a dry pan and skinned
Vegetable oil 1 -2 tbsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Honey 2 tbsp

Blend the peanuts coarsely. Add 1 tbsp oil and continue blending. If mixture seems too dry, gradually add more oil. Add the salt and honey and blend till you get the consistency you desire. Store in an airtight container.

3 comments:

  1. WOW oh WOW Illona, you've made your own peanut butter *I bow down to the lady*. It looks really good and now I want to run into the kitchen and get making my own too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made my day Rosie! *huge smile* Thanks. Try it - it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. will definately try this recipe! my kids should love me coz peanut butter is like; their craving for ice on a hot summer day! or like how jodi craves for hotpot at 789 restaurant during the winter months! ahahahahah
    will let u know how it turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!