Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Plum Crumble

Bright purple plums under a sheet of sweet, crunchy crumble


Another one of my plum experiments. While shopping at Auchan, I saw these purple plums again. They were on sale, so what's a girl to do? I grabbed (and I go mean it literally. Have you been to the fruits and vege section at Auchan during peak time?) a few, shoved them into a plastic bag and plonked it on the weighing scale at the weighing station. (If you wait for the staff to politely take the bag from you and weigh it, you will be standing there, with a bag of plums in your hand all morning).


Two days later and they were still sitting around the kitchen, and so I dug up an old recipe and turned them into a crumble. (If this recipe sounds like something you had posted before, I apologise for not giving credit. I printed this a long time ago and can't remember where I found it). It was lovely, but I should have added more sugar as the plums were a bit sour. Very eye appealing – the rich red-purple oozing out from under the golden crust was a sight to behold.


Filling

500g plums, stoned and cut into 6-8

½ cup brown sugar – add more if the plums are sour

1 ½ tbsp flour


Crumble

½ cup flour

6 tbsp butter

¼ cup sugar

1/3 cup oatmeal

¼ cup sliced almonds

Pinch of salt


Preheat oven to 190C. Toss the fruit with the sugar and flour until well mixed. Pour into a 9” ovenproof dish.

Rub the butter into the flour till it resembles coarse meal. Add the sugar and salt and toss. Finally add the oatmeal and almonds. Mix well and pour over the filling. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!