Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Chocolate & Macadamia Nut Spread


I seem to be making a lot of spreads these days. I guess today I was just moved to make this mock Nutella, and as luck would have it - I had all the ingredients on hand. It's been on the 'want to try' list for a while, but just could not find hazelnuts. Even our favourite nut seller at the Nan Men market didn't have them. (Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of nuts at that market, opening up just endless baking options).

What I did have on hand was macadamia nuts. So I decided to substitute the hazelnuts with macadamias.

I was extremely happy with the end result - for a first try. The consistency and the sweetness was just right. However, the aroma of the macadamias did not come through as I imagine hazelnuts would have. It produced a handsome quantity - enough to fill a large jar. Definitely more ecomonical to make your own than buying. Well, at least in Suzhou.

Macadamia nuts 2/3 cup
Condensed milk 1 tin 370g
Chocolate chips 1 cup
Honey 4 tbsp

Process the macadamia nuts till pasty. (If you can get the nuts to liquefy, this will result in a smoother spread). Set aside. Put the condensed milk, chocolate chips and honey in a large bowl and sit it on a pot of simmering water. (Double boiler would work great). Stir occassionally till the chocolate melts. Pour the chocolate mixture into the hazelnuts and blitz till the mixture is smooth. Transfer into an airtight container, cool. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Illona,
    May I have your recipe of baking bun, I just love to eat the Ikan Bilis bun from Super Komtar's bakery. Now hard to get good ikan bilis bun, just think of bake them by myself.

    Lay Leng

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI again. I remember Ikan Bilis bun. Not had that in years! A good bakery is Continental behind Cold Storage. Not sure if they have Ikan Bilis bun though, but their cinnamon rolls are great. Will send a basic bun recipe to your e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy this sounds good- YUM!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!